Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 645498

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/645498

NS55NW 55 Centred 5250 5944

Nothing survives of this anti-aircraft battery which was situated to the N of Corselet Road, South Nitshill.

Information from J Guy, September 1996

The heavy anti-aircraft battery consisted of four gun-emplacements and a command position with the GL mat (gun laying radar false horizon hexagon) to the W. The accommodation camp was situated on the other side of Corselet Road.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) July 1997

This World War II heavy anti-aircraft battery was situated on the N side of Corselet Road. Nothing survives on the site on which modern housing has been built.

The battery was armed with four 3.7-inch guns.

J Guy 2001; NMRS MS 810/11, Part 3, 209-10

The WW II heavy anti-aircraft battery is visible on vertical air photographs taken in 1946 (106G/Scot/UK 140, Pt III, 5247-5248, flown 3 July 1946). The photographs show that the battery was provided with six gun emplacements, an arc of four of one type and two additional to the NW and SE of the arc. Public Record Office documents show that the battery was originally armed with four x 3.7-inch guns during 1942 and a GL radar set, but by November 1943 six had been supplied and the Gl-Mk 1A radar removed (PRO AIR 2/4768; WO 166/11169).

The air photographs also show that the accommodation camp lay in a field between Corselet Road and the Aurs Burn. A total of at least 42 huts are visible, most of the Nissen type. within the dogleg taken by the road.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005

People and Organisations

References