Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 1998

Event ID 639178

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


HY 4881 5269 - The old parish church of Papa Westray (HS Index 1484) constructed in the 12th C, was extended in the 18th C and remained in use until the 1920's. Following a period of disuse, during which the building began to fall into decay, it was renovated and re-opened in 1993 as a place of worship. Two Pictish cross slabs and a fragment of a reliquary shrine have been recovered from the graveyard and a Norse hog-backed tomb stone (HS Index 1478) remains in situ. The graveyard has been extended in recent times. The church has been built over extensive remains of earlier settlement, some of which has been revealed in the nearby coastal section (see HY45SE 26).

Moore and Wilson, 1998

Coastal Zone Assessment Survey

People and Organisations