Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 2006

Event ID 611866

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


NG 5486 3664

As part of ACFA's continuing survey of the Isle of Raasay the remains of the 13th-century chapel were surveyed and recorded. The different style and construction of the window opening on the W wall from those at the E of the building were noted and it is suggested that the W end is a second, later stage of development and that the orignal eastern part could be of an arlier date than previously thought.

An inventory was made of the stones and the markers surrounding the chapel and the other structures in the graveyards were recorded. The Lady Chapel (Macleod Mausoleum) adjacent to the S wall of the chapel, previously thought to date from 1839, was found to have been described by James Boswell in 1773 during his visit to Raasay with Dr Johnson.

Other stones and monuments on Raasay were surveyed and also recorded:

NG 5532 3543 the Rasaay War Memorial

NG 5503 3700 German Stone

NG 5466 3676 Pictish stone

NG 5457 3630 Pictish carving

NG 5475 3675 Kit's Stone

NG 5454 3638 and NG 5480 3675 medieval cross bases

Reports lodged with drawings and photographs have been lodged with NMRS and Highland Council.

Sponsor: Glasgow Archaeological Society and CBA Challenge Funding

JS Wood and J Macdonald 2006

People and Organisations