2003 Threatened Buildings Survey
Date August 2003
Event ID 607310
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type 2003 Threatened Buildings Survey
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/607310
Henderson Church is the third church of the congregation which was founded in 1773 when 60 members of the Laigh Kirk left over an issue of patronage with the Earl of Glencairn. They worshipped at the Gallowsknowe Meeting House from 1773-1818, then moved to the Kilmarnock Burgher Church, later known as the Henderson Church on Boyd Street, until 1907.
The present church was built to the designs of Thomas Smellie, a member of the Kirk Session and opened 8 September 1907. In 1948 new choir stalls were gifted in memory of Mr and Mrs G MacMurray, which were made by Thomas W Wilson of Glasgow. This prompted the reordering of the chancel and the removal of the dark stain from the original communion table and chairs. Three years later, in 1951, a new lectern was acquired.
In 1957 the church was renovated and redecorated by Sir William Kininmonth. He installed the patterned paper on the ceiling, painted the 1907 Norman and Beard organ and embellished the chancel with a green and silver paper that has since been painted over. The brass cross on the communion table is by Benno Schotz commemorating Reverend J Hamilton.
The three chancel windows depicting Christ the Good Shepherd with St Paul and St John are 'from the studio of Stephen Adam Snr., 166 Bath Street, Glasgow'. The windows in the west aisle and clerestory commemorate Reverend David Landsborough who was Minister of the church for 61 years, and who died in 1912. The artist of this window is unknown. The set of windows in the side or east chapel were designed by Mrs Wendy Robertson of Kilmarnock and installed in 1987.
Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2003