Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders

Date 2007

Event ID 606463

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/606463

Errochty Dam is a 127 ft high, 1310 ft long diamond-headed buttress dam completed in 1957 which formed a new three mile long reservoir with a top water level 1080 ft above sea level.

A 12-mile long tunnel entering the loch from the north east collects water from the upper reaches of the rivers

Bruar and Garry and some of their tributaries. Another tunnel six miles long and 15 ft in diameter takes water

from Loch Errochty to the Errochty power station whichis discreetly situated in a hillside excavation on the shore near the western end of Loch Tummel.

The power station is built of stone excavated from the main tunnel and has three 25 000kW vertical Francis

turbines operating on a head of 610 ft.

R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

People and Organisations

References