Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Treasured Places

Event ID 567416

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Treasured Places

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/567416

In 1936 The Moorings café and restaurant opened on the seafront at Largs. It incorporated its own ice-cream factory and bakery, and housed a ballroom with a capacity of 1000 people. The building had a distinctive nautical design, in keeping with its location: porthole windows, a third-floor 'sundeck' and a cut-away corner echoing the prow of a ship.

Permission was granted for the demolition of the building in 1989 after flooding had damaged its steel frame.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 27 July 2007

Cameron, N 1989

McKean, C 1987

People and Organisations

References