Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Event ID 561021

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/561021

It is believed that a church has stood at this site since the twelfth century. The existing church was constructed in 1808, with some fragments of a sixteenth-century building incorporated into its fabric.

The parish church is a simple rectangular building, harled with a slated roof and dressings of smooth blocks of granite and sandstone. There are three pointed windows on the north, where the main entrance is situated, a circular rose window above another entrance on the east gable and four round-headed windows on the south elevation. A single-storeyed minister's room is attached to the west gable.

The burial ground, which lies on three sides of the church is surrounded by a rubble wall, and entered through cast-iron gates. Some of the gravestones are made of local slate, and bear finely detailed inscriptions.

Four Pictish symbol-stones are attached to the exterior of the south wall. Three were reputedly found when the old church was demolished, having been used as foundation stones. The fourth stone was discovered in the churchyard.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

People and Organisations

References