Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 1994

Event ID 553834

Category Documentary Reference

Type Reference


The new bridge was built by Tancred and Arrol of Glasgow and opened to traffic on 20 June 1887, being the last of the great wrought iron railway bridges; it remains in use.

Since opening, the bridge has needed little other than routine maintenance, the expansion bearings being replaced between 1953 and 1965, and sections of the deck subsequently.

M Smith 1994.

People and Organisations