Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Treasured Places

Date 29 June 2007

Event ID 545930

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Treasured Places

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/545930

In 1897 Charles Rennie Mackintosh won the commission to design the Glasgow School of Art, whilst working for the architectural firm of Honeyman and Keppie. In 1899 the first phase opened (from Dalhousie Street to the entrance block), and construction of the second phase took place in 1907-9.

The School is recognised as one of Mackintosh's masterpieces. The exterior references a Scottish tower-house at the east gable, while a panel above the entrance is in Art Nouveau style. Inside the building, the principles of the Arts and Crafts movement are discernable, particularly in the details of timber and metalwork throughout the School.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 26 June 2007

McKean, C, Walker, D and Walker, F 1989

Williamson, E, Riches, A and Higgs, M 1990

People and Organisations

References