Pricing Change
New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered.
Field Visit
Date April 1985
Event ID 1156550
Category Recording
Type Field Visit
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1156550
Drumsuie NS 4429 1788 NS41NW 9
A cottage, situated on the edge of a river terrace 200m SSW of Drongan School, now occupies the site of a tower-house of probable 16th-century date. Although the tower was demolished during the early 19th century, and the stone largely carried away, some rubble remains, together with several fragments of dressed stone, to indicate its approximate position. On the S side of the cottage a cobbled surface (recently flagged) may have formed part of its courtyard; a stone causeway (12.5m long and 2.9m broad) at the foot of the terrace on the N may also be associated. Drumsuie was formerly part of the barony of Sundrum; in 1567 it was the property of William Crawford.
RCAHMS 1985, visited (IMS) April 1985.
(NSA, v, Ayr, 654; Retter 1978, 73).