DALKEITH, WEST CHURCH
Event ID 1144507
Category Descriptive Accounts
Type Architecture Notes
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1144507
The West Church was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey initially in 1991 after it had closed as a place of worship. It later became the workshop of Charles Taylor Woodwork and this survey was prompted by the closure of this interesting re-use of a church building.
The West or Buccleuch Church was designed by William Burn and completed in 1840. Walter Francis 5th Duke of Buccleuch gifted the site, built the church and endowed it. It accommodated the expanding congregation of the Old Parish Church and was created a parish quoad sacra in 1853. The organ, stained glass windows and memorial plaques were removed after the closure with planning permission and re located to the Old Parish Church in 1991.
Charles Taylor Woodwork made some alterations including the insertion of a mezzanine and the creation of offices with glazed internal walls in the original ‘chancel’.