Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 8 June 1920

Event ID 1115547

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1115547

The access bridge is not of one but of several building periods. On each side of the gap there has been a lofty square pier of ashlar masonry, of which only that on the south now stands, and between these there was probably a drawbridge. About the middle of the 15th century two bold semi circular arches, supporting side walls, were thrown between the piers, and within these was a timber bridge. The eastern arch and wall remain and show the mortices for the bridge timbers, but the western arch is represented only by its spring, which is seen on the south pier, the north pier being destroyed. At a somewhat later period (c. 1597) the present bridge of masonry was constructed, utilising the then existing eastern arch but with anew western arch at a higher level; the northern pier was then rebuilt but with a lesser width than that of the original. Immediately south of the bridge the south pier was carried upwards as a gateway, as shewn in Pennant's Tour (vol. iii, p . 255) and in Father Hay's drawings.* A portion of the eastern jamb of the gateway is still in situ and is wrought with a quirked edge roll of 16th-century date. The gateway had a semicircular head and may have been surmounted by a bretasche. Between the gate and the forebuilding 'of the castle the approach is carried over a mural chamber, now inaccessible, which was entered from the forebuilding.

RCAHMS 1929, visited 8 June 1920.

*Genealogie of the Sainteclaires of Rosslyn.

People and Organisations

References