Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 14 July 1933

Event ID 1106632

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


Carved Stones, Ancrum House.

On the outside of the E wall of the modern house of Ancrum there has been inserted a fine 16th-century panel, measuring 2ft 5in in height by 1ft 9 1/2in in width, evidently taken from a tower which formerly stood on this site (Information from Corrrespondence of Sir Robert Kerr). The upper half of the panel bears the inscription ROBERT KER / AND ISOBEL HOME / FOUNDAR AND / COMPLEITAR / ANNO 1558, an index hand preceding the words and a love-knot being inserted before the date. The lower part of the panel contains two shields, the dexter one upheld from behind by a man wearing a lose-fitting cap, the sinister one by a woman with a flat hat and a veil. The dexter shield is charged : On a chevron, three mullets, in base a stag's head couped, for Ker of Ancrum. The sinister shield is charged : In chief three papingoes, in base a lion rampant, for Home of Wedderburn. The papingoes are shown in an L-shaped arrangement. Commenting on this panel, the late Sir J. Balfour Paul, Lyon King of Arms, pointed out that "the sinister shield must have been executed by somebody with a very rudimentary notion of armoury, for the birds which appear in chief of the shield are arranged in a manner which no herald would ever think of".

A second panel, measuring 1ft 9in in width by 1ft 7in in height and now in two pieces, is preserved inside the house. Dating from the 17th century, it exhibits a shield with helm and mantling. The shield is charged : Three lions' heads erased, on an in- escutcheon at fess the Royal Arms, for Scott of Ancrum.

RCAHMS 1956, visited 14 July 1933.

People and Organisations