Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Field Visit

Date 9 June 1915

Event ID 1104221

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1104221

Dun Scurrival, Eoligarry.

Dun Scurrival occupies the summit of a small hill on the west coast of Barra near its most northerly point, about 5/8 mile west-north-west of Eoligarry House. The hill rises to a height of 100 feet above sea-level in a sharp rocky ascent from the shore on the west, while on the east the slope though more gradual is still steep. The dun, like the other fortified buildings in Barra, is greatly dilapidated. Pear-shaped on plan, with apex to the west, it measures internally some 52 feet from east to west, and some 39 feet from north to south. The outer part of the wall has been torn down, leaving only an occasional foundation-stone in position, and on the inside it rises at most some 3 feet above the debris. The entrance is indistinguishable, but seems to have been in the east end. Small portions of the inner face of the inner wall of a gallery within the body of the wall survive on the west-south-west and north-east. At the latter place the wall is 14 feet 6 inches thick, the inner wall of the gallery being 4 feet thick. The entrance to this gallery can be traced, varying in width from 2 feet to 2 feet 4 inches towards the interior of the wall. At the western end of the dun there seems to be a scarcement 6 inches wide on the inner face of the wall. But the condition of the structure makes all statements as to detail doubtful.

RCAHMS 1928, visited 9 June 1915.

OS map: Barra lxii.

People and Organisations

Digital Images

References