Field Visit
Date 24 June 1925
Event ID 1099077
Category Recording
Type Field Visit
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1099077
The old parish church of Monimail fell out of use in 1796, and all that is now left of it is a mere fragment of the eastern end, repaired and practically rebuilt as a burial enclosure. There is a tomb-recess in the north wall and beside it a sacrament house. The locker has an ogival head, crocketed, and has been fitted with a door or grille. Above are two shields, the dexter bearing: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, three lioncels passant, gardant; 2nd and 3rd, on a passion cross either a mullet and cross-crosslet fitchy or three cross-crosslets in pale. The sinister shield is surmounted by a crown and bears the Royal Arms.
Projecting from the north wall of the church is the aisle of the Melville family, still entire, having been repaired in 1831. It is an oblong building of ashlar with a slated roof, and bears on one gable a panel inscribed in monogram G.E.M., for George, Earl of Melville, with an earl's coronet above. The structure is therefore later than 1690, when George Melville was created first Earl of Melville. In the east wall is a panel containing a shield bearing: Quarterly 1st and 4th, a fess between three mascles; 2nd and 3rd, on a chevron an otter's head erased, for Bethune of Balfour; on a label beneath the shield is inscribed, MISERICORDIA. The Balfour coat appears again, with the initials LB., on a loose fragment of a triangular pediment lying near the south-east angle of the aisle. The aisle, which is now used as a burial vault, contains a good recumbent stone dated 1594 commemorating in a Latin inscription David Melville (? of Newmill). His initials and those of his wife, Margaret Douglas, appear on either side of a shield bearing: Quarterly, 1st and 4th, a mullet between three crescents, for Melville of Raith; 2nd and 3rd, on a label of three points two mullets.
RCAHMS 1933, visited 24 June 1925.