Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pricing Change

New pricing for orders of material from this site will come into place shortly. Charges for supply of digital images, digitisation on demand, prints and licensing will be altered. 

 

Field Visit

Date 23 October 1908

Event ID 1088480

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1088480

158. Fogo Church.

This church was completely restored in the latter half of the 18th century, and all [medieval] features of architectural interest removed.

Cross-slab. A fragment of an ancient burial-slab, having carved in relief on its upper face an elaborate and ornate cross, is preserved in the Harcarse burial aisle at the east end of the church.

See Ber. Nat. Club, 1890-91, p. 128.

Heraldic Panel. On the front of the Harcarse gallery of the church at the east end is a painted panel bearing the arms of Hog of Harcarse, which may be blazoned thus: Argent, Three boar heads, azure, armed and langued or; Crest, above the shield on a wreath argent, azure, and or, an oak or plane tree; Motto, on an esoro11beneath the shield, DAT GLORIA VIRES; the whole represented on a mantle gules, lined azure and fastened by four bows of lilac ribbon; beneath, in the corners, two roundels with gilt cabled borders enclosing initials and date S R / R H 1677.

Heraldic Panel. In the wall of the Charterhall loft of the church at the west end is a painted stone panel bearing a shield with impaled arms, thus: Dexter, Argent, on a chevron gules, between three boar heads erased sable, a star of the first (for Trotter); Sinister, Or, on a bend azure a star between two crescents argent (for Scott); Crest, On a helmet, front face., with mantling argent and gules and wreath argent, gules, and azure, a star or; Motto, on an escroll at top, DEO DANTE FLOREBO; at the sides of the shield the date 1671, and at foot, MR GEORG TROTTER, his arms.

See Ber. Nat. Club, 1892-93, p. 54.

Memorial Panel. Into the outside wall of the south side of the church has been inserted a panel measuring 29 inches by 20, carved in low relief with the figures of two men in broad-skirted coats and full-bottomed wigs, and of a woman in a robe, with a sash or girdle round her waist. Each of the men bears across his breast a scroll inscribed VIVE MEMOR LETHI, and over all is the legend - WE THREE SERVED GOD LIVED IN HIS FEAR / AND LOVED HIM WHO BOUGHT US DEAR.

See Ber. Nat. Club, 1892-93, p. 55.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 23rd October 1908.

OS Map: Ber xxii. NW.

People and Organisations

References