Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 5 August 1908

Event ID 1088182

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


2. Church (foundations) Abbey Hill.

About ¼ mile south of the present church, within a shrubbery on the north slope of the Abbey Hill, lie the foundations of a church excavated in 1870. The structure, which shows no sign of a chancel arch, has measured internally some 38 feet in length by 15 feet in width, the end walls being about 5 feet thick, and the side walls about 3 feet. The remains of the south wall are about 2 feet high. This was probably the pre-Reformation parish church.

Font (supposed remains of). Lying in the centre of the church is a broken ring of stone about 2 feet 6 inches in diameter, which may have formed the edge of a font.

RCAHMS 1915, visited 5 August 1908.

See Eccles. Arch., iii. p. 411 (plan); Ber, Nat. Club, 1869-72, p. 131, ibid., 1890-91, p. 91.

People and Organisations