Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date June 2017

Event ID 1040199

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1040199

The remains of a small tower and attached range known as the Wirk stand outside the NE corner of the burial ground at Swandro. The buildings were exposed by excavation early in the early 20th century and the results were described and illustrated in some detail in 1931 (Storer Clouston 1931, 27-33) and again by RCAHMS who provided a clear architectural description (1946, 191-2, visited 1929). The site and associated architectural fragments were the subject of a detailed discussion by Raymond Lamb in 1982 (RCAHMS 1982, 9-12) and Chris Lowe in 1984 (1984c). The present project included a new survey of the surviving remains in plan and section and a photographic survey.

The date of the building is open to question but a combination of historical sources and architectural fragments found in the vicinity (HY33SE 17.01) seem to indicate a 16th century foundation (RCAHMS 1946, 192).

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (GFG, PJD) June 2017

People and Organisations

References