Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 2010

Event ID 1019731

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account


The hazards of the headland north of the port had been recognised when the Northern Lighthouse Board was established in 1786, and the first lighthouse they authorised was built on top of the old castle on Kinnaird Head, and lit on 1 December 1787 (fig 17). In 1830 the light was improved and the surrounding keepers’ accommodation added by Robert Stevenson.

Information from ‘The Scottish Burgh Survey, Historic Fraserburgh: Archaeology and Development’, (2010).

People and Organisations