Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 1998

Event ID 1019257

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1019257

Harmony Hall, a Regency dwelling of three storeys figure 22.Q, is one of the many comfortable villas erected in the town to accommodate the growing number of substantial families in the town. Built in 1807, it was named after the Jamaican plantation of the owner, Robert Waugh. A three bay residence, fronting to the south, the centre bay has an advanced and pedimented entrance with steps and a projecting Ionic columned porch. The south front is of coursed squared whinstone with freestone dressings, while the flanks and rear are of course squared rubble. There are two more modern wings to the rear. The property is surrounded by tall, rubble walls with a flagged cope, broken by a gate with corniced piers to the east. Nicknamed 'Melancholy Jaques', Robert Waugh rarely emerged from behind his protective walls.

Information from ‘Historic Melrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

People and Organisations

References