Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 2000

Event ID 1018326

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1018326

The town house of the Knights Hospitaller of St John of Jerusalem was built in the late fifteenth or early sixteenth century and was demolished in 1885 (see area 3). Whether remnants of this building could have survived the nineteenth century development for which it was pulled down is uncertain. It is possible that some deeply-cut foundations may have survived or that masonry was re-used in later building works. In fact, a fragment of the late medieval building is thought to have been incorporated into the building at the corner of St Michael's Wynd.

Information from ‘Historic Linlithgow: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (2000).

People and Organisations

References