Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Publication Account

Date 1982

Event ID 1017710

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1017710

The church of St.Vigeans located about a mile from the Abbey served as Arbroath's parish church in the middle ages. St. Vigeans stands on a small conical mound and has some twelfth century fragments in its fabric, though the site itself was a Celtic one (MacKie, 1954, 5). The early Christian site is attested by the large and most important group of elaborately carved stones... which once stood here' (MacGibbon and Ross, 1897, 459). For a few years after the Reformation the Lady Chapel was used as the parish church until 1590, when it was abandoned for a square, box-like edifice made out of stone and timber from the Abbey Dormitory (MacKie, 1954, 16). This church was repaired in 1751 (Hay, 1876, 91), and was enlarged in 1764 (NSA, 1843, 94). A modern church is now built on the site.

Information from ‘Historic Arbroath: The Archaeological Implications of Development’, (1982).

People and Organisations

References