Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Publication Account

Date 1986

Event ID 1017661

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Publication Account


Mills for the spinning of wool, together with a small industrial community, were well established at Garlogie by 1843 under the ownership of Alexander Hadden & Son of Aberdeen. Evidently steam-power was then being used to augment the water-powered machinery, and latterly the engine was superseded by a water-turbine. It ceased to operate in 1904, when the mills were closed and afterwards partl demolished. All that now survives is the masonry built engine-house and adjacent parts of the buildings.

The engine, although derelict, is virtualy intact and enjoys the distinction of being the only Scottish example of its type to remain in situ. Compactly arranged within an area of 34ft 6in (10.52m) by 8ft 6in (2.60m), the engine is a house-built rotative beam-engine of meidum size, with a double-acting cylinder, separate condenser and air pump. The cylinder, fitted wih an integral valve-chest, had a 50in (1.27m) stroke and an estimated 16in-18in (c 430mm) bore. Other principle features are as follows: the cast-iron beam, 16ft 3in (4.95m) between the centres with its connecting-rod and parllel motion for the piston-rod; linkages for the air pump and feed pump; and the main drive-shaft which turns a 16 ft-diameter (4.88m) flywheel and engages with a cenifugal governor and an eccentric by means of bevel gearing. The engine probably developed about 50 horsepower.

The maker is not known but, assuming that the engine dates from the late 1830s, it may possibly be ascribed to Mitchell & Neilson of Glasgow, whose known engines had similar design features.

Information from ‘Monuments of Industry: An Illustrated Historical Record’, (1986).

People and Organisations