Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dingwall Description of stone

Event ID 1017536

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1017536

Dingwall, Ross and Cromarty, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 1.30m above ground level, W 0.51m, D 0.20m

Stone type: mica schist

Place of discovery: NH 5493 5893

Present location: in the churchyard at Dingwall.

Evidence for discovery: identified by W C Joass in 1880, when it was in re-use as a lintel over a doorway in the 1803 church. It was removed and set in a stone base in the churchyard near the entrance.

Present condition: very weathered on both carved faces, broken at the top (base hidden).

Description

This was originally a prehistoric cup-marked stone bearing a number of cupmarks on both broad faces, which was later re-used as a symbol stone. It is incised on one broad face with three open circles above a crescent and V-rod and on the other broad face with a double disc and Z-rod above two crescents and V-rods arranged one above the other.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 56-7; Fraser 2008, no 120.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2017

People and Organisations

References