Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Field Visit

Date 8 July 1929

Event ID 1012469

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1012469

No. 421 Town Cross

This cross now stands on the high ground at the E side of Broad Street, almost opposite the W gable of the Cathedral, but the original site was near the foot of the Strynd (Hossack 1900, 287). The shaft of red freestone rises from a base of three steps, and all the arrises are chamfered. The cross-head has expanded arms, with a fleur-de-lys carved at each end, but the upper limb is parallel-sided. Its N face bears the date 1621, and it is therefore contemporary with Bishop Graham.

Visited by RCAHMS 8 July 1929

People and Organisations

References