Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 6 August 2015

Event ID 1011412

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1011412

NN 03079 03142 Small traditional cottage, now part of the Auchindrain open-air museum of a traditional Scottish Highland farm township. The building is part of a group listing with 22 other structures all from the late 18th and 19th centuries. Bell a’Phuill’s House, as it is now known, was occupied by 1841 as a dwelling. It was lived in until the death of Isabella McCallum (Bell a’Phuill) in 1915 but thereafter fell into disuse, and by 1946 was roofless and derelict. The building was repaired and re-roofed in 1975, and has been regularly re-thatched since. It is thatched in rush, as this material grows in abundance around the site, and was last re-thatched in 2011, receiving a top-dressing in 2012. The ridge appears to have been thatched more recently than the rest of the roof, which has an amount of mossy and grassy vegetation growth across the surface of the thatch. The ridge has been scobed with two horizontal lines of thin branch.

Visited by Zoe Herbert (SPAB) 06 August 2015, survey no.020

People and Organisations

References