Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 6 August 2015

Event ID 1011411

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1011411

NN 03167 03234 Reconstruction cottar’s house, part of the Auchindrain open-air museum of a traditional Scottish Highland farm township. The building is part of a group listing with 22 other structures. Historic maps have shown a building on this site in both 1789 and 1871, however, by 1946 the building on this site was abandoned and roofless. In the early 1980s, the building was excavated and was then ultimately reconstructed to simulate a cottar’s house from the early 19th century. The building was given a cruck-framed roof that was covered in bracken thatch. Since this time, the building has been deliberately left unused and abandoned, and the thatch left to deteriorate, as apparently a township would have always had some unoccupied buildings. The bracken thatch, which appears to have a continuous bracken ridge, is in a poor condition and is heavily overgrown with grassy vegetation.

Visited by Zoe Herbert (SPAB) 06 August 2015, survey no.019

People and Organisations

References