Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Excavation photograph showing the nails removed from the refuse pit.

A 40093 CT

Description Excavation photograph showing the nails removed from the refuse pit.

Date 1958 to 1960

Catalogue Number A 40093 CT

Category Photographs and Off-line Digital Images

Copies SC 348665, SC 2575106

Scope and Content Fortress and temporary camp at Inchtuthil, Perth and Kinross This Roman fortress is at Inchtuthil. It was possibly built by during the time of governor Julius Agricola, but was only occupied for a short period. The fort was abandoned before completion, with the legate's palace not even started. This is a view of the large number of iron nails which were recovered from the site during excavations. They appear to have been buried deliberately when the site was abandoned. About 10 tonnes of nails and 9 cart tyres were found under 1.8 m of gravel. The fort would have held about 5,500 legionaries and their support staff. The site has been excavated several times, primarily between 1952 and 1965. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/82763

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions