Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Oblique aerial photograph, taken from the W, centred on Kildrummy Castle. Digital image of B 79985 CN

SC 800044

Description Oblique aerial photograph, taken from the W, centred on Kildrummy Castle. Digital image of B 79985 CN

Date 9/3/1995

Collection RCAHMS Aerial Photography

Catalogue Number SC 800044

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 79985 CN

Scope and Content Aerial view of Kildrummy Castle, Aberdeenshire This aerial view from the south-east, taken in 1995, shows the castle in the centre, with the foundations of the early 13th-century courtyard walls and remains of the angle-towers and twin-towered gatehouse added in the late 1290s on the right. To the left are the remains of the hall and the 16th-century Elphinstone Tower. This castle was besieged on many occasions. It was taken by English forces in 1306, subsequently restored, burnt in 1530, captured by Cromwell in 1654, and was the headquarters of the Earl of Mar during the 1715 Jacobite rising. It was then dismantled. Kildrummy Castle was evidently constructed in the early 13th century as a polygonal castle of enclosure, for Alexander II. A chapel was added in the mid-13th century, and in about 1300 angle-towers and a gatehouse were added. In the 16th century a tower-house was added at the west end of the hall. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/800044

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions