Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Courtyard, north facade, view from south Digital image of D 62846 CN

SC 800009

Description Courtyard, north facade, view from south Digital image of D 62846 CN

Date 4/4/2000

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 800009

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of D 62846 CN

Scope and Content Linlithgow Palace, Linlithgow, West Lothian, from south-south-east This view from the south-south-east, taken in 2000, shows the courtyard elevation of the north range, built for James VI in 1618-20 to replace an earlier range that had collapsed. The building has a transverse spine wall, with numerous fireplaces in it, and contained guest rooms. The Union of the Crowns in 1603 meant that the palace ceased to be a regular royal residence. It was kept in reasonable repair, but was set on fire by Government troops withdrawing after Culloden in 1746, and was never repaired. The ruins have been kept in good order since the early 19th century. Now in the care of Historic Scotland, it is open to the public. Linlithgow Palace occupies the site of a wooden castle of the late 13th century, but the oldest part of the present complex was not built until about 1400. The palace had taken its present form by the mid-16th century, but the north range collapsed in the early 17th century, and was rebuilt in 1618-33. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions