Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of south elevation of castle. Digital image of C 67760 CN

SC 799958

Description View of south elevation of castle. Digital image of C 67760 CN

Date 15/8/1996

Catalogue Number SC 799958

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 67760 CN

Scope and Content Hermitage Castle, Scottish Borders, from south-south-east This view from the south-south-east, taken in 1996, shows the entrance front of the castle. Note the projecting 'bretasche' at the wall-head above the doorway, from which objects could be dropped on unwanted visitors. The mid-14th-century tower is in the centre, flanked by the later south-west and south-east towers. The mid-14th-century castle was probably built by the Dacre family. Hermitage was owned in 1566 by James, Earl of Bothwell, and in that year Mary, Queen of Scots visited him there when he was ill. It was extensively restored in the 19th century, before it was given into State care. It is now open to the public and is in the care of Historic Scotland. There was a castle on this site in the mid-13th century, but nothing of it now survives. A hall or tower was built in the mid-14th century and was rebuilt in the late 14th century. Rectangular towers were subsequently added on three of the corners, and later a large tower was built on to the south-west corner, replacing a short wing of the tower. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/799958

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions