Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view. Digital image of AY 530

SC 798474

Description General view. Digital image of AY 530

Date 28/9/1941

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 798474

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AY 530

Scope and Content Crossraguel Abbey, South Ayrshire, from north-north-west This view from the north-north-west was taken in the mid-20th century and shows the south side of the inner court, with the vaulted ground floor of the abbot's house, and on the left the remains of a tower-house built in about 1530 for use by the abbot. The last monks of Crossraguel Abbey were still living there in 1592, and must have been among the last pre-Reformation monks in Scotland. Ralegh Radford identified some small cells as 'sheltered housing' for old men not in orders who lived in the community as paying guests, known as corrodiars. Crossraguel Abbey was founded in 1244 by monks from the Cluniac Abbey of Paisley, after Paisley had tried to hold on to land given by Earl Duncan of Carrick in about 1200. It was never a large or particularly prosperous abbey, but the remains are unusually complete. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference Emergency Survey

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798474

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions