Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of nave from W.

SC 798214

Description View of nave from W.

Date c. 1890

Catalogue Number SC 798214

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AN 1055

Scope and Content Arbroath Abbey, Angus, from north-west This view from the north-west, taken in about 1890, shows the south wall of the south aisle of the nave of the abbey church on the right, with the remains of the south transept above, and the south wall of the choir and the sacristy to the left. Note the bases of the piers in front of the walls, which supported the upper walls of the nave. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798214

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions