Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of trancept from N.

SC 798209

Description View of trancept from N.

Date c. 1890

Catalogue Number SC 798209

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AN 1056

Scope and Content Arbroath Abbey, Angus, from north-north-west This view from the north-north-west, taken in about 1890, shows the gable of the south transept with part of the south wall of the nave (right). The three tiers of arcading below the lancet windows show how elaborate the church originally was. This is the most complete part of the late 12th- and early 13th-century building. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798209

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions