Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from NW. Digital image of B 8186.

SC 798189

Description View from NW. Digital image of B 8186.

Date 10/1986

Catalogue Number SC 798189

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 8186

Scope and Content Arbroath Abbey, Angus, from north-west This view from the north-west, taken in 1986, shows the remains of the west end of the abbey church. This masonry was built in the late 12th or early 13th century. The west doorway was flanked by two towers, and has a gallery above it. The bottom part of the rose window above the gallery can be seen. Arbroath Abbey is particularly famous as the place where the Declaration of Arbroath was signed in 1320. This was a stated case made to the Pope by the barons and other leaders of Scottish society as to why the Scots should be free from English domination. Arbroath Abbey was founded in 1178 by King William the Lion. It was staffed by monks of the Tironensian order from Kelso Abbey, the first Scots abbey of this order, which originated in 1109 at Tiron, near Chartres, in France. The surviving ruined church dates largely from the late 12th and early 13th century. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/798189

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions