Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SE of vaulted building to N of range of associated farm buildings, photographed 28 July 1993 Digital image of C 19663

SC 797130

Description View from SE of vaulted building to N of range of associated farm buildings, photographed 28 July 1993 Digital image of C 19663

Date 1993

Catalogue Number SC 797130

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of C 19663

Scope and Content Barra Head Lighthouse, Berneray, Western Isles, from south-east This vaulted building lies to the north of the range of farm buildings at Barra Head Lighthouse. Rubble-built with thick walls, it has a low door. It may have been used as a pig-house, or for storage purposes. As Barra Head was an isolated island, often cut off due to bad weather conditions, it was important for the keepers to have their own livestock to provide them with food. Barra Head Lighthouse dates to 1833 and was designed by Robert Stevenson (1772-1850). Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, he planned and supervised the building of 18 lighthouses. He was also involved with canal drainage, harbour improvements, railways and the widening of rivers. Berneray, on which the Barra Head Lighthouse is situated, is the most southerly of several small islands to the south of the island of Barra. The islands are often known as the Bishop's Isles, as in medieval times they belonged to the Bishop of Man and Sodor. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/797130

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions