Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from SSW showing Edinburgh - Glasgow train entering station

SC 795426

Description View from SSW showing Edinburgh - Glasgow train entering station

Date 1986

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 795426

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Train at Queen Street Station, West George Street, Glasgow This view from the south was taken in about 1986, and shows a push-pull train from Edinburgh arriving at platform 2. These trains were introduced in 1979, and had a type 47/7 diesel-electric locomotive at one end and a driving trailer (seen here) at the other. The retaining walls and bridge seen here date from the 1878-80 remodelling of the station. The bridge was built by Smith & Naysmith, a Glasgow firm. It was demolished in the early 1990s to make way for the Buchanan Galleries shopping centre, part of which is on a deck over the railway. Queen Street Station was opened in 1842 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, and rebuilt and extended by the North British Railway in 1878-80. It was rebuilt again by British Railways in the 1960s, retaining the overall roof of 1880. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference CT59

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/795426

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 795426) View from SSW showing Edinburgh - Glasgow train entering station

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions