Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from ESE showing E and S fronts

SC 794278

Description View from ESE showing E and S fronts

Date 1979

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 794278

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content George Hotel, No 2 High Street, Newburgh, Fife, from east This view from the east, taken in 1979, shows the north side of High Street to the left, with the George Hotel on the corner of Tay Street. This building was built in 1811, and was probably originally a coaching inn. The other buildings in this view are roughly contemporary with the hotel. Newburgh is well off the tourist routes through Fife, but is a place of considerable interest and character, with some very attractive buildings, including a tolbooth (1808), Masonic lodge (1815) and library and museum.(1894-6). Newburgh, on the Tay estuary, was founded as a burgh by the monks of Lindores Abbey in 1266. It was the market town for much of north Fife, and has the only harbour in the area. It was until recently the centre of the commercial salmon fisheries of the Tay. Earlier it was a hand-loom weaving village. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference CTH168

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/794278

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 794278) View from ESE showing E and S fronts

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions