View from ESE showing SSE and ENE fronts
SC 793948
Description View from ESE showing SSE and ENE fronts
Date 1979
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 793948
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Dunnikier House (Path House), Nether Street, Kirkcaldy, Fife, from east-south-east This view, taken in 1979 from the east-south-east, shows Dunnikier House (now known as Path House), originally built in 1692 for George Watson, and his wife Euphan Orrock. There is an 18th-century wing at the rear, contemporary with the front walls and gate piers. The building is now a medical centre. This building is at the top of the hill which leads from Kirkcaldy to the east, known as The Path, hence the modern name of the house. It was restored in the 1970s to the condition seen here. Watson was probably a merchant trading from Kirkcaldy harbour. The large town of Kirkcaldy has a long and complex history. It is nicknamed the 'Lang Toun' as it is strung out along the shore of the Forth Estuary, rather than having a compact focus. It was a burgh of regality under Dunfermline Abbey by c.1320, and became a royal burgh formally in 1644. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference CTH162
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/793948
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]