Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from S showing SSW face of overall roof arch

SC 786053

Description View from S showing SSW face of overall roof arch

Date 8/4/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 786053

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Queen Street Station, West George Street, Glasgow This shows the overall roof completed in 1880, designed by James Carsewell, the North British Railway's civil engineer, and built by P & W MacLellan. On the right is part of the North British Hotel, and on the left part of the West George Street Independent Chapel, built in 1819. This frontage of the train shed was revealed, for the first time, in 1971, though briefly, as soon after this photograph was taken an extension to the North British Hotel again obscured this fine glazed screen. The overall roof was overhauled by Railtrack in the 1990s. The first station on this site was opened in 1842 by the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway. It was rebuilt on a larger scale by the North British Railway in the late 1870s, to handle increased traffic, and again by British Railways in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/29/9

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/786053

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 786053) View from S showing SSW face of overall roof arch

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions