Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from S showing part of SW front

SC 776987

Description View from S showing part of SW front

Date 15/3/1971

Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland

Catalogue Number SC 776987

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content McDonald Road Electric Power Station, McDonald Road, Edinburgh This shows the McDonald Road frontage of the generating hall from the south-west. It is steel-framed, with a sandstone ashlar frontage, and yellow brick side walls. To its left are the two-storeyed offices for the station. This power station continued in use until after World War II, and was still intact in 1971, when part of it was occupied by Inveresk Stationery Ltd. As can be seen from the steelwork embedded in the south wall it was designed with the possibility of expansion in mind. This station was built in 1898-9 for Edinburgh Corporation Electricity Department, and designed by the City Engineer, John Cooper. It was built to complement the existing power station in Dewar Place, and supplied electricity to domestic, commercial and industrial consumers, and for street lighting. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/15/31

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/776987

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)

Licence Type: Permission Required

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions