Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

General view from W showing covered walk-way, clock-tower and pier

SC 774598

Description General view from W showing covered walk-way, clock-tower and pier

Date 16/2/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 774598

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Pier, Wemyss Bay Station, Inverclyde This shows the relationship of the pier to the station, with the car ferry 'Glen Sannox' moored to the south side of the pier, and the curved covered ramp from the station on the left. The tower marks the south end of the station. The ship was on the Rothesay service. This complex is still in use, though the numbers of people using the interchange are much reduced from its designed capacity. The sub-structure of the pier was replaced in reinforced concrete in the 1980s when the structure was adapted to handle side and stern loading vessels. The first station and pier on this site were opened in 1865 by the Wemyss Bay Railway, to provide a railway pier for steamer services on the lower Clyde estuary. The company was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway, who rebuilt the facilities to provide an interface between its trains and steamers. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/8/38


Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 774598) General view from W showing covered walk-way, clock-tower and pier

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions