Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View from WSW showing SSW front

SC 772853

Description View from WSW showing SSW front

Date 11/1/1971

Collection John R Hume

Catalogue Number SC 772853

Category On-line Digital Images

Scope and Content Crossford Bridge, South Lanarkshire This shows the bridge from the south-west, showing the late 18th-century character of the structure. The extensive use of rock-faced masonry is unusual, and was probably due to a desire to reduce costs to a minimum for a bridge which was not of the first importance. This bridge was built when the benefits of improved road communications were being appreciated throughout lowland Scotland. It was the first bridge over the Clyde between Lanark and Hamilton. Its construction was probably promoted by the Lockharts of Lee, the estate on the east bank of the river at this point. This bridge was built in 1793 over the River Clyde, and carries a minor road. It is a good example of a late 18th-century bridge, with flat segmental arches, slender piers with rounded cutwaters, and a nearly level, broad carriageway. There is a toll-house at the western end. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference H35/71/2/16

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/772853

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

Collection Level (551 147) John R Hume

> Item Level (SC 772853) View from WSW showing SSW front

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © HES. Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume

Licence Type: Permission to Reproduce

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions