View from WSW showing WNW and SSW fronts
SC 770905
Description View from WSW showing WNW and SSW fronts
Date 7/11/1970
Collection Papers of Professor John R Hume, economic and industrial historian, Glasgow, Scotland
Catalogue Number SC 770905
Category On-line Digital Images
Scope and Content Canal stables, Forth & Clyde Canal, Glasgow Bridge, East Dunbartonshire This shows the stables from the west. The left-hand side of the main block contained the stalls on the ground floor, with grain and hay stored on the upper floor, which has a hoist door in the central bay. The dwelling house is in the right-hand end. The dwelling house housed the bridge-keeper for the adjacent hand-operated swing bridge until the canal closed in 1962. It was still inhabited in 1970, though the building was deteriorating. It was gutted in the 1970s, but the walls remained intact, and it was converted into a pub/restaurant in about 1990. This is one of a series of four blocks of stables built by the Forth & Clyde Canal Co, probably in about 1830, to provide relays of horses to haul fast passage-boats between Port Dundas and Lock 16 at Camelon. They had dwelling houses for the horse-keepers, and later housed other canal workers. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.
External Reference H35/70/64/22
Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/770905
File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap
Attribution: © Copyright: HES (Reproduced courtesy of J R Hume)
Licence Type: Permission Required
You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.
Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]