Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Floors Castle, gateway and lodges Distant view from South East Digitl image of RX/955

SC 769854

Description Floors Castle, gateway and lodges Distant view from South East Digitl image of RX/955

Date c. 1930 to 1939

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number SC 769854

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 955

Scope and Content Gateway and Lodges from south-east, Floors Castle, Scottish Borders This shows the main entrance gateway and boundary walls to the estate. This entrance was commissioned by the 8th Duchess as a silver wedding present to her husband in 1929 and designed by Reginald Fairlie (1883-1952). The two gate piers are topped with urns and support ornate wrought-iron gates with flanking screens and lodges. The gateway has an imposing location in Kelso town at the top of Roxburghe Street, named after the family. The 8th Duchess would have wanted the design of the entrance to show people passing through Kelso that the Roxburghes were an affluent family with good taste in architecture and to give a hint of the style of the castle. Floors Castle was built in 1718 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe and was probably designed by John Vanburgh (1664-1726) with alterations by William Adam (1689-1748). The 6th Duke of Roxburghe commissioned William Playfair (1790-1857) to alter and extend the castle between 1838 and 1849. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769854

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions