Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Floors Castle View from West North West, titled: 'J.V. Floors Castle. 488.' Digital image of RX/1322

SC 769848

Description Floors Castle View from West North West, titled: 'J.V. Floors Castle. 488.' Digital image of RX/1322

Date c. 1880

Catalogue Number SC 769848

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 1322

Scope and Content Floors Castle, Scottish Borders, from north-west This shows the main block in the centre with the covered porch (porte-cochère) in front, the stable wing on the left and the kitchen wing on the right. William Playfair castellated the corner towers of the main block and added the corner towers to the two service blocks. He also added a crenellated parapet and projecting mouldings (hood-moulds) above all the windows. The family and their guests would have entered the castle through the porte-cochère, which was designed in such a way that anyone dismounting from a carriage was sheltered from the weather. The servants would only enter the castle via arched entrances on the stable and kitchen wings courtyards. Floors Castle was built in 1718 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe and was probably designed by John Vanburgh (1664-1726) with alterations by William Adam (1689-1748). The 6th Duke of Roxburghe commissioned William Playfair (1790-1857) to alter and extend the castle between 1838 and 1849. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

External Reference J.V. 488

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769848

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions