Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Floors Castle, gateway and lodges View of left hand gate, from W Digital image of RX/957

SC 769846

Description Floors Castle, gateway and lodges View of left hand gate, from W Digital image of RX/957

Date c. 1930 to 1939

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number SC 769846

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 957

Scope and Content Gateway and Lodges, Floors Castle, Scottish Borders, from west This shows one of a pair of screens which flank the main entrance gateway commissioned by the 8th Duchess as a silver wedding present to her husband in 1929, and designed by Reginald Fairlie (1883-1952). Two piers topped with scrolled capitals support an ornate wrought-iron screen which has an integral gate for pedestrians. Part of one of the pair of gate lodges is shown. Gatehouses were located around the estate perimeter and were occupied by the servant and his family who opened and closed the gates leading to the country house or castle. The buildings were designed to hint at the quality of the architecture of the main house or constructed in an architectural style favoured by the owner of the estate. Floors Castle was built in 1718 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe and was probably designed by John Vanburgh (1664-1726) with alterations by William Adam (1689-1748). The 6th Duke of Roxburghe commissioned William Playfair (1790-1857) to alter and extend the castle between 1838 and 1849. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions