Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Floors Castle, gateway and lodges View of central gate and piers, from NW Digital image of RX/960

SC 769845

Description Floors Castle, gateway and lodges View of central gate and piers, from NW Digital image of RX/960

Date c. 1930 to 1939

Collection Ian G Lindsay

Catalogue Number SC 769845

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of RX 960

Scope and Content Gateway and Lodges, Floors Castle, Scottish Borders, from north-west This shows the main entrance gates which were commissioned by the 8th Duchess as a silver wedding present to her husband in 1929, and designed by Reginald Fairlie (1883-1952). The two square gate piers are surmounted by urns and support wrought-iron gates which are topped by a Roxburghe armorial. Wrought-iron screens with integral pedestrian gates flank the gate piers and parts of the lodges at each side of the entrance can also be seen. The armorial has family crests in the centre with 'wild men' as 'supporters' at each side, and a crown which denotes the title of the family at the top. Gatehouses were located around the estate perimeter and were occupied by the servant and his family who opened and closed the gates leading to the country house or castle. The buildings were designed to hint at the quality of the architecture of the main house or constructed in an architectural style favoured by the owner of the estate. Floors Castle was built in 1718 for the 1st Duke of Roxburghe and was probably designed by John Vanburgh (1664-1726) with alterations by William Adam (1689-1748). The 6th Duke of Roxburghe commissioned William Playfair (1790-1857) to alter and extend the castle between 1838 and 1849. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions