Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Game larder, view from south Digital image of E 15767 cn

SC 769294

Description Game larder, view from south Digital image of E 15767 cn

Date 18/6/2001

Collection RCAHMS

Catalogue Number SC 769294

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 15767 CN

Scope and Content Game Larder, Allt-na-giubhsaich, Glen Muick, Balmoral Estate, Aberdeenshire This charming little game larder, set in a copse of trees at the rear of Allt-na-giubhsaich, was built c.1855 as a store for game birds such as red grouse and perhaps the occasional deer shot on vast stretches of moorland surrounding the house. It was constructed, on a stone base, from local timber, and has a delicately swept roof with a louvred ventilation shaft, topped by a ball finial, arising from the centre. Louvred windows, set all around the building, kept the interior airy and cool, and guaranteed a through draught. It is painted in 'Balmoral beige', a colour chosen by Prince Albert. Prince Albert's passion was shooting and he devoted most of his time while staying at Balmoral to deer stalking. His stalking expeditions involved the attendance of his own ghillie (shooting attendant), several other ghillies, two or three keepers, and a fleet of Highland ponies to bring down the deer carcasses from the hills. Ghillies, local men with a great knowledge of the hills, led the expeditions over difficult terrain, and pointed out the best stag to shoot. The number of antlers, weight and condition of each stag shot was entered in a game-book, and heads of deer shot by the prince were stuffed and mounted, and displayed on walls throughout the castle. The carcasses, which eventually supplied venison for the table, were hung from rails round the walls, alternately by the feet and head to ensure even ripening of the meat. The Balmoral estate was bought in 1852 by Prince Albert and Queen Victoria at their own expense as a Highland retreat from the stresses of London life. Prince Albert initiated many improvements, including the building of a new holiday home, Balmoral Castle, in 1853-5, and put forward plans for a model estate with new houses and offices for estate workers and tenants. Many of the original buildings were remodelled and restored, including Allt-na-giubhsaich, an isolated keeper's house and bothy in Glen Muick which was made habitable as a 'get-away' house. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/769294

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Full

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions