Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

View of entrance gates to Hopetoun House.

SC 767022

Description View of entrance gates to Hopetoun House.

Date c. 1900 to 1930

Collection Thomas Hadden

Catalogue Number SC 767022

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of B 7129

Scope and Content East Gate and Lodge, Hopetoun House, West Lothian This shows the main gates to the estate, which were designed by architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson (1834-1921) in 1895. Tuscan columns linked by a curving entablature are surmounted by a row of stone urns, and flank the tall gate piers and wrought-iron gates. The single-storeyed lodge house can just be seen (right), with its pedimented porch. The curving quadrants of the main gate reflect the design of the main house with its curving colonnades. Gate lodges, which housed the servants who monitored people entering and leaving the estate, and entrances are often marked by elaborate structures and decorative details to suggests the wealth and taste of the landowner. Hopetoun House, the seat of the Marquis of Linlithgow, was built 1699-1704 to designs by architect Sir William Bruce (c.1630-1710). Between 1721 and 1748 architect William Adam (1689-1748), and his sons Robert (1728-92) and John (1721-92) designed extensions to the central block, flanked by curving colonnades leading to advanced pavilions containing stables (north) and a ballroom (south). Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.


File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

Collection Hierarchy - Item Level

People and Organisations


Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution & Restricted Use Summary

Attribution: © Courtesy of HES (Thomas Hadden Collection)

Licence Type: Limited

You may solely view this material on the Canmore Site. No other use is permitted.

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions